Production: Screen Gems, Stage 6 Films, Ghost House Pictures | Release Date: August 26, 2016
A trio of friends break into the house of a wealthy blind man, thinking they’ll get away with the perfect heist. They’re wrong.
Director: Fede Alvarez
Writers: Fede Alvarez, Rodo Sayagues
Stars: Stephen Lang, Jane Levy, Dylan Minnette
Runtime: 88 min.
Genre(s): Horror, Thriller
Rating: 7,2/10 (IMDB)
Budget: $9.900.000 (estimated)
Opening Weekend: $26.411.706 (USA) (26 August 2016)
Gross: $89.210.468 (USA) (16 December 2016)
– Exterior shots of the house were filmed in Detroit. Interior shots were filmed 4500 miles away in Pomaz, Hungary – near Budapest.
– This film was originally titled “A Man in the Dark.”
– Was number #1 in the U.S. Box Office for the first two weeks of release and stayed in the top 10 for six weeks.
– Ironically, the street where the blind man lives is called “Buena Vista,” which is translated to mean “Good View” in Spanish.
– Stephen Lang (The Blind Man) only has about thirteen lines of dialogue in the whole movie (most of which comes near the end of the film).
AWARDS AND RANKINGS: #36 Most Discussed Movie of 2016, #42 Most Shared Movie of 2016
Production: Universal Pictures | Release Date: January 20, 2017
Though Kevin (James McAvoy) has evidenced 23 personalities to his trusted psychiatrist, Dr. Fletcher (Betty Buckley), there remains one still submerged who is set to materialize and dominate all the others. Compelled to abduct three teenage girls led by the willful, observant Casey (Anya Taylor-Joy), Kevin reaches a war for survival among all of those contained within him—as well as everyone around him—as the walls between his compartments shatter apart.
Director: M. Night Shyamalan
Writers: M. Night Shyamalan
Stars: James McAvoy, Anya Taylor-Joy, Haley Lu Richardson
Runtime: 117 min.
Genre(s): Horror, Thriller
Rating: 7,3/10 (IMDB)
Budget: $9.000.000 (estimated)
Opening Weekend: $40.010.975 (USA) (20 January 2017)
Gross: $138.120.085 (USA) (28 April 2017)
– The end credits are shown in 24 frames in the background of the scrolling credits to simulate the 24 different personalities that Kevin has in the movie.
– Inspiration for the movie, real-life multiple-personality Billy Milligan (February 13, 1955 – December 12, 2014), charged with three rapes, was the first person diagnosed with multiple personality disorder to use an insanity defense by reason of that disorder, and also first to be acquitted thus. Milligan had 24 personalities, consisting of 10 Desirables: Billy Milligan, Arthur, Ragen Vadascovinich, Allen, Tommy, Danny, David, Christene, Christopher, and Adalana; and 13 Undesirables: Phil, Kevin, Walter, April, Samuel, Mark, Steve, Lee, Jason, Bobby, Shawn, Martin, and Timothy; and The Teacher, a fusion of all of the other personalities.
– The 5th M. Night Shyamalan movie to gross more than $100m at the US box office.
– This movie takes place in M. Night Shyamalan’s hometown of Philadelphia. Philadelphia Phillies stickers can be seen stuck to objects throughout the film.
– In Kevin’s therapist’s house, you can see that one of the books on the library in the background is titled “Sybil.” This was the pseudonym given to a real-life woman with 16 personalities, as dramatized in Sybil (1976) and Sybil (2007).
– When Joaquin Phoenix and the production couldn’t reach a contract agreement, James McAvoy was cast in the lead.
AWARDS AND RANKINGS: #11 Most Discussed Movie of 2016, #10 Most Shared Movie of 2016